These vegan spices cupcakes were the perfect match for this citrusy, naturally pink tinted buttercream. I love making these cupcakes with my girls because I don’t have to worry about egg shells or trying to stop them from tasting the batter! The cupcakes are so moist and not rich, so the buttercream is a beautiful contrast. I love the color and taste the blood orange gives, and those beautiful specks and bursts of flavor from the zest.
Spiced Cupcakes with Blood Orange Buttercream
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Juice and zest from one blood orange
For the Cupcakes:
For the Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cupcake tray with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl, add almond milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Add sugar and whisk until dissolved. Add flour, baking powder, salt and spices, and gently whisk together until combined and smooth.
- In a small bowl, add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar to activate. Add to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Fill cupcakes about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for about 22 minutes or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer or using an electric mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy Add the powdered sugar in two addition and combine well. Add zest and almond extract and continue running the mixer on a low speed.
- Slowly pour in the juice from the blood orange, a bit at a time, until buttercream has reached the desired consistency.
- On a flat surface or tray, arrange cooled cupcakes. Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes, starting at the center and swirling outwards. Decorate and enjoy.