Short on brunch ideas? Try this classic Italian breakfast cake – a ciambella.
A ciambella is simply a slightly sweet cake, baked in the form of a ring, with a delicate crumb that is best enjoyed with “un caffé” – a coffee – in the morning. There are many variations of the ciambella, but this one is made perfectly moist with a secret ingredient – Galbani Whole Milk Ricotta cheese. Ricotta is often the underrated star of many Italian desserts and this is no exception. This ricotta ciambella is flavored with orange zest and dark chocolate, balancing sweet fruit notes with the bitterness of the chocolate.
What makes this cake perfect for a holiday meal or other gathering is that it’s best made ahead of time. Make it early in the weekend and store it in the fridge until you are ready to celebrate. This recipe was created in a paid partnership with Galbani Cheese.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk Galbani Ricotta cheese
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or seeds for one vanilla bean
- Zest of 1 Large Navel Orange
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the eggs and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or use a large bowl and electric mixer. Mix on a medium high speed until sugar is dissolved and the eggs mixture is a pale yellow (about 2 minutes).
- Add in the Galbani Ricotta cheese, and mix until fully incorporated (30 seconds – 1 minute) on a medium high speed.
- With the mixer running on low, add in your oil, followed by the orange zest and vanilla. Ensure that mixture is homogeneous before switching to a paddle attachment or spatula.
- Add in the baking powder and mix to combine. Then, slowly add the flour and mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated into the batter.
- Add in chocolate chips and fold to combine.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan and pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick can be removed cleanly from the cake. Let cool completely before transferring to a plate.
- If not enjoying immediately, cover tightly with plastic cling wrap and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.