A dish as simple and straight forward as they come – three ingredients and 20 minutes is all you need to make this simple and delicious pasta dish.
Pasta with broccoli was a favorite for in my house growing up, and remains to be a favorite for my children now. Since my youngest could speak, when her doctor asks her favorite food, she always responds “broccoli” and that is because of this very dish!
Like many Italian traditions and foods, every family has their own spin on this recipe. It is not uncommon to find versions of this dish that saute the cooked broccoli with anchovies, or with garlic. In my home growing up, we always enjoyed it this way, and the fact that it can be made in one pot with minimal clean up is just an added bonus. It is an incredibly economical meal – a pot of this pasta can serve at least 6 people. I hope you try it!
Pasta with Broccoli
- 1 lb orecchiette (or other short pasta)
- 2 heads of broccoli, florets cut into chunks and washed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to boil to cook the pasta. Salt generously.
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta immediately followed by the broccoli. Cook, stirring sporadically, until the pasta is al dente.
- When the pasta is done to your liking, drain and return to the pot. Dress the pasta with the olive oil and toss. Taste and add additional oil or salt, if needed.
- Plate and finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.