I have to admit to you – I am a salad fanatic. I need to have a salad to accompany any secondo, or main dish. I need that contrast of the crisp, fresh bite a salad gives, next to the texture of a flaky fish or tenderized meat. Though I normally make a simple salad on the day to day, this is my favorite salad to serve on a special occasion or a more formal dinner. It has all of my favorite flavors in it and the mixed variety of lettuces used here gives a variety of textures as well.
Insalata Mista | Mixed Salad
- 1.5 cups loosely packed baby arugula
- 1.5 cups loosely packed baby romaine lettuce
- 1.5 cups loosely packed baby spring mix
- 1/4 head radicchio, sliced thinly, about 1 cup loosely packed
- 1 bulb fennel – stems removed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- pinch salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the salad ingredients – all three types of lettuces, the radicchio and sliced fennel. Drizzle the dressing over top, and gently incorporate the dressing into the salad by tossing between two large serving spoons or salad tongs.
- Using tongs, gently transfer the salad to a serving bowl.