This creamy, soft gelato is flavored subtly with lemon zest and makes for the perfect, light end to any meal – or late night snack!
T hough there are a couple different methods of making gelato – some utilize a 2:1 ratio of whole milk to heavy cream and egg yolks, where as others use cornstarch to thicken the mixure. This recipe uses egg yolks and creates a creamy, custardy dessert.
Gelato al Limone
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- zest of 2-4 lemons (about 3 tablespoons)
Gelato al Limone
– 2/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- In a stand mixer, beat together the egg yolks and 1/3 of the granulated sugar using the whisk attachment. Beat until pale yellow in color, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine milk, cream, lemon zest and remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium high heat. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves and mixture is simmering.
- With the stand mixer on low speed, temper the egg mixture by adding about 1/2 the warm milk mixture in 3 additions.
- When combined, pour the egg, milk and cream mixture back into the pot and continue to cook until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a heat proof bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until cold (4 hours or overnight). [Optional: if you would prefer a smoother consistency, strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and discard lemon zest.]
- Pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions – for about 20 minutes.
This recipe is intended to create a creamy gelato with a light lemon taste. If you prefer a stronger lemon taste, add 1/2 tsp of lemon extract.