Filetto Fritto | Fried Filet of Fish
- 2 lbs fresh Tilapia Filets
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 extra large eggs, beaten
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- Fill a large frying pan with 1-2 inches of canola oil. Set over medium heat and allow to come to about 350 degrees Farenheit. Alternatively, test oil by sprinkling a bit of flour after it has been heating for about 5 minutes. If the flour sizzles, the oil is ready. Set up a baking sheet or platter lined with paper towels to drain the fried fish on later.
- Place the tilapia filets on a paper towel to drain excess moisture. Pat the tops dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a shallow baking dish, add your flour, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Mix together with a fork. In a separate shallow baking dish, add your eggs and beat well.
- When the oil is heated, take a filet and press it into the flour, then turn it over to coat the opposite side. Shake off excess flour. Transfer the fish to the beaten eggs and turn the fish several times to coat it well in the eggs. Carefully place the filet in the oil and fry until golden (about 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on the side). You can add an extra filet or two to the pan so long as the pan is not crowded. Doing so will bring down the temperature of the oil.
- Remove the filets to the lined baking sheet or dish and salt immediately.
- Serve with lemon wedges and a salad, such as Cucumber and Tomato Salad, and enjoy warm.