These classic French crepes from culinary genius Thomas Geller’s Bouchon Bakery take on an Italian twist with these creamy, decadent filling. The best part of this dessert is that it can be made ahead of time and assembled quickly and still makes an impressive presentation.
The story behind this creation is a failure really – I was attempting to make a tiramisu crepe cake. Easy enough right? I somehow made less than half the filling that was needed, forgot to push the filling to the edges, and was in such a rush I hardly waited for the crepes to cool before ending up with more of a crepe dome with runny filling. I had just about used all of my ingredients and didn’t want to stick almost empty jars back into the fridge, so I whipped together the remaining nutella and marscarpone cheese, and added a splash of amaretto. The result was dreamy!
Crepes with Nutella Marscarpone Filling
- 500 grams whole milk
- 200 grams eggs
- 200 grams all-purpose flour
- 20 grams granulated sugar
- 60 grams Amaretto Liquor
- 5 grams Kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 20 grams unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Canola oil, for cooking
- 1/2 pound slice strawberries
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 3/4 cup Marscarpone cheese
- 3 teaspoons Amaretto Liquor
- Powdered sugar, for garnish.
For the Crepes:
For the Filling:
1. In a blender, add the milk, eggs, flour, sugar, liquor and salt. Scrapes the seeds from the vanilla bean and run the blender for about 15 seconds.
2. With the speed on low, pour the melted butter slowly through the top opening of the blender. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, and refrigerate in an air tight container overnight.
3. Drizzle a bit of canola oil into a non stick skillet (9 or 10 inches) and use a paper towel to distribute the oil evenly. Set the skillet over medium high heat.
4. When the pan is hot, lifting the pan off the heat, ladle in 1/4 cup of the crepe mixture. Immediately swirl the pan so that the batter reaches all the edges and forms a circle. Flip one the batter is set – about 15 to 30 seconds, and cook on the other side. Crepes should be a golden brown color. Stack on a sheet pan until ready to use. Crepes should sit at least 10 minutes before using, or wrapped in cling wrap until ready to use.
Filling and Assembly:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine Nutella, Marscarpone cheese, and liquor. Whisk vigorously to combine.
2. Take a cooled crepe and spread the mixture on one half of the crepe. In 1/4 of the crepe, on top of the mixture, add sliced strawberries. Fold the crepe in half to cover the strawberries, and then in half again – keeping the strawberry portion at the bottom of the folding. Plate with additional sliced strawberries and dust with powdered sugar.