Lobster can be an intimidating ingredient, but in reality, it cooks very quickly and easily in boiling water and really elevates the flavor and textures in this pasta and lemon butter sauce dish. It is the perfect choice for stretching an expensive ingredient like lobster and is really luxurious. It is the perfect date night or special occasion meal – sure to impress!
A few tips to make this dish perfect for you: never throw out your pasta water! After transferring your pasta to your sauce to finish cooking, add pasta water 1/2 cup at a time until the pasta is cooked to your liking. The more water you add, the thinner the sauce – the less, the thicker! Parsley is an amazing herb to use in pasta because it provides a great crunchy texture to contrast with the smoothness of the pasta and sauce, but, basil works wonderfully as well!
I hope you enjoy this decadent pasta dish. Buon appetito!
Bucatini with Lobster Lemon Butter Sauce
- 12 ounce bucatini pasta (or other long pasta)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons)
- Lemon Juice (3 tablespoons)
- 3 lobster tails
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped and divided
- Lemon zest and slices for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to boil to cook the pasta. Salt generously. Bring a medium saucepan full of water to boil to cook the lobster.
- When the water is boiling, add lobster tails and a tablespoon of salt to the water. Stir and cook until shells are bright red and curled (3-5 minutes) Remove from water and allow to cool. When the lobster tails are cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the shells (you can cut through the shells with kitchen shears and gently remove the meat). Chop into large chunks.
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta to the water to cook and begin the sauce. The pasta should cook for 3/4 the time stated on the box (for bucatini: 7-8 minutes). Set a large pan over a medium flame. Add the olive oil and red pepper flakes and allow to heat for about a minute. Add the onions and garlic, and salt with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or a large pinch) Stir and cook until soft and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- To the pan, add the butter and allow to melt. Reduce the flame to low. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine. When the pasta is about 3 minutes undercooked, add it to the pan and toss. Cover with about 1 cup of pasta water. Cover the pan and allow the water to reduce and cook into the pasta and sauce. Add in the lobster meat and half the parsley and toss to combine. **Taste the pasta – if you would like a softer texture, add additional pasta sauce (1/2 cup at time) and allow the water to absorb.
- Plate and garnish with lemon zest, lemon slices and remaining parsley. Enjoy immediately.