These poached pears are an easy, healthy, make ahead dessert that will make your kitchen smell like the entire holiday season. The active prep time of this dessert is a mere ten minutes, and can be made a day or two in advance of serving . The longer the pears sit in the poaching syrup, the more they will absorb the flavor . Plus, its vegan, gluten-free and low-carb, as an added bonus!
Amaretto Poached Pears
- 1/2 cup Amaretto Liquor
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2.5 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves (optional)
- 3 whole pears, peeled, halved and cored (Bosc or Anjou, preferably)
- Whipped cream and ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a medium, heavy bottomed pot, combine Amaretto, water, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice and whisk together. Add cinnamon stick and cloves, and bring to a boil over a medium high flame.
- When the Amaretto mixture is boiling, add the pears and reduce the flame to medium. Cook until the pears are soft, for 15-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let pears sit in the poaching mixture until cool enough to handle.
- Serve warm, topped with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
If making ahead, let the pears cool, and store the pears and the liquid in an air tight container. When ready to serve, put everything into a heavy bottom pot on medium heat and bring to a simmer to warm.